GMA Field Information
Field is almost completely cleared (phase 1). 75% of the trees are down as of 9/22, remaining done by next week. We now have a plan for our phase one flight line and will be testing that out this week. A view from 1000':
Be sure to check out a couple of new drone flights from this week on the Youtube channel (link in the footer at bottom of page).
Field clearing continues...While progress is slow, we are making headway. Some pictures below, and videos available on our youtube channel (here or click on icon at bottom of page).
We have successfully navigated local government zoning requirements and are prepped to restart clearing! Starting 8/20, clearing will resume and we hope to have phase 1 rough clearing completed within a few weeks. We'll post more progress photos on the site as they become available. Once this is complete, we'll begin converting the clearing into a hay field and leveling and grassing the flight area. While all indications are that the land is well suited, until clearing is complete we're unsure how much that will take.
Initial clearing has begun. We are working with a crew to clear a drivable path from the entrance to the flying area. From there we are clearing a path along the southern border then from the southern midpoint north to the powerlines. Then we will clear a path along the proposed runway location. Doing this will give us better visibility to the land, slope and terrain as well as give us a feel for how much it will take to complete the clearing for phase 1 and level a runway. Here are some images and photos to help illustrate:
Thank you to everyone that participated in the survey. We had about 90 responses of which nearly 60 were favorable to the new site. Given this, the board has decided to proceed with development of the new field. Here is what is happening now:
- We have agreed to spend part of our funds to do an initial clearing
- We plan to clear an access path to the planned flying area
- We plan to clear enough to judge the general area around the flying site
- We have agreed to general terms with the land owner as to how we can proceed
Here are some next steps:
- We are having another club meeting on Sunday June 24 from 3PM to 4:30PM at the Forsyth County, Fowler Park Recreation Center (same as last year)
- We will provide more information on the site and clearing progress
- We will discuss overall plans, timing and needs
- We will discuss how the club will manage through the development and potential changes afterwards
- We need funds for development!!!
- During the meeting we will be asking for everyone to help by donating to the development effort
- We will be asking for 2018 renewals to assist with development costs
- We will be reaching out to others (potential members, sponsors, etc.) to get additional donations
- Based on funds, we will continue to aggressively develop the site
- We would like to have some form of flying in 2018
- We would like to have general flying capability early 2019
We will be providing more information between now and the 24th, so stay tuned. If you have any specific questions, please respond to this email and a board member will get back to you.
We hope you all are as excited as we are to get moving on the next phase of GMA!